Re: Film Vs. Digital

At 08:20 PM 4/9/2005, karl shah-jenner wrote:

One of my colleagues has just enrolled 8 police officers in his new
Photoshop course -  my first hought was.. why?

This is a fairly ridiculous way to discuss things.

Forensic photography is a tiny and very specialized field. And, in the US at least, digital cameras have become accepted and standard issue. As part of that, many police departments no longer employ photographers but give a digital camera to officers who go to crime scenes. My wife's friend is a commander in a mid-size city police department, he mentioned they dumped all the outside photographers when they went digital.

How many forensic photographers are on this list? How many photographers (millions) are forensic photographers (I would guess the number to be extremely low.)

Most people here are interested in photography as communication, whether that's personal or commercial, not in using it as evidence at a crime scene. That's why the example is absurd.

Jeff Spirer
Photos: http://www.spirer.com
One People: http://www.onepeople.com/
Surfaces and Marks: http://www.withoutgrass.com