Re: PF Exhibits on 02 APR 05

> > colours too are guessed by the camera.
>
> Using a process that turns out to be remarkably close to the one
used
> in the human eye and brain, and hence producing photos that look
> *great* to human eyes.

Sorry David: that sounds like complete twaddle.
Where did you read that?
I'd love to follow up the reference further.
>From my distant memories of the Physiology of vision I can see almost
no similarities, oh, apart from the fact that what the brain "sees"
has almost no 1:1 correspondance to signals recieved by the eye.

But maybe you are right: after all, some digital cameras produce much
sharper results than scans (as long as you ignore the in-camera covert
sharpening that has been applied before you get access to the file.).

PS: The eye/brain are analogue processes!  :o)

> > What has happened with UV and IR photography in the digital world?
> > not necessarily for pictorial use but for tech and forensic?
> > Photography isn't just limited to the pictorial world.

> There's something of a renaissance in IR photography going on
> precisely *because* of the rise of digital.
But in the pictorial world the flaws don't really matter - unless you
after large high-definition high-detail images without the "purple
fringing".  For the most part people adapt to what is possible with
any medium.  Forensically / scientifically you actually want the
relationship between the recorded image and what was seen by the
sensor to at least be predictable.  Every stupid "proprietry" hidden
in-camera tweak (including dealing with noise, dead/hot pixels,
sharpening etc etc) weakens that relationship.

> Can't get decent resolution with three sensors.  It works for video
> because video resolution is so low.
I suspect the camera bodies ould have to be a lot bigger too?

> I get much better reliability and quality and, above all,
consistency,
> from digital.
Ultimately that's what counts.
Reliability?  I'll let you know in 25 years from now, assuming my
analogue body lasts that long :o)