Re: PF Exhibits on 02 APR 05

karl shah-jenner <shahjen@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> From: "David Dyer-Bennet"
>
> : karl shah-jenner <shahjen@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> : > The 35mm shooters have definately been tempted to digital for the very
> : > reason 35mm existed in the first place - convenience, but there was
> always
> : > a gap between convenience and quality.. that gaps just getting a bit
> wider
> : > ;-)
> :
> : Nope, narrower.  That's why it's so exciting!
>

> 4000 dpi scan of 4x5 offers a 16000x20000 pixel image, that's, 320Mp
>
> 8x10 is 1.2Tp

Scanned film pixels are much less valuable (contain less information)
than digital-original pixels, though, so trying this direct comparison
is meaningless.

> 4x5 scanning backs take around 30 minutes to grab a shot.
>
> the ccd's of most cameras only have sensors covering 25-50% of the surface,
> the rest of the image is 'guessed' by the camera software

Film only has grains covering a small percentage of the surface, the
rest of the image is simply lost.

> colours too are guessed by the camera.

Using a process that turns out to be remarkably close to the one used
in the human eye and brain, and hence producing photos that look
*great* to human eyes.

> What has happened with UV and IR photography in the digital world?
> not necessarily for pictorial use but for tech and forensic?
> Photography isn't just limited to the pictorial world.

There's something of a renaissance in IR photography going on
precisely *because* of the rise of digital.

> Geologists, medical photographers and other tech photographers are
> finding it hard to extract valid information about what colours are
> actually recorded digitally.  the results depend on the camera and
> the monitor or printer used at the time the image was stored and
> again when viewed.  how valid, how reliable can this be?

This can be a problem using consumer cameras for scientific and
technical work, sure.  They shouldn't send their film to Proex,
either.

> colours are guessed quite well now, but where are the 3 sensor
> cameras for us still photogaphers?  thats where the real quality
> lies, that's what the cine camera market get, yet the still cameras
> are stuck with one sensor.

Can't get decent resolution with three sensors.  It works for video
because video resolution is so low.

> more and more variables are being introduced into a discipline that
> always sought to limit the number of variables to maintain
> consistency.
>
> just another karl-rant, but I use both digi and film, one for
> convenience, one for reliability and quality.

I get much better reliability and quality and, above all, consistency,
from digital.