Re: Film Vs. Digital

As an ex-electrical engineer and techno geek, it is funny for me to
watch the film vs. digital debate. As soon as I got my first digital
camera several years ago I already knew the end game. It is also funny
to watch because it is just history repeating itself again. Same exact
story occurred with when CDs came out. Remember all the cries about how
they weren?t as good as albums, they sound too harsh, albums will never
die. They sounded harsh because when the recording studios first
started making CDs they used the equalization curve for LPs which
boosted the highs to make up for the losses on the album. CDs didn?t
have those losses so the highs were recorded too high and they sounded
terrible. It was eventually worked out. Do your kids know what an album
is? Well their kids won?t know what film is. This story repeated again
in audio. Solid state amps were never supposed to replace tube
amplifiers. They didn?t sound as good. Seen any tube amps at Best Buy
or Circuit City? Same thing happened many years ago in telecom. The
telephone system was analog. Now it is digital except for the last mile
or two to your house.

You can say digital does not have the resolution of film. It will have
10 times that tomorrow, and it already has 80% less noise, which is why
you can get, better prints from a good 8M than you can from 35mm. You
can say it doesn?t have the same latitude but, tomorrow it will have
more latitude than you eye. You can say it doesn?t have the color
gamut?again, tomorrow it will have a better gamut than your eye.
Imagine settings on your camera for infared or ultraviolet. The D30 was
a good infrared camera but they added filters on the D60.

You can debate this stuff all day long but in the end none of it
matters because economics is what will kill film. The price of digital
will continue to fall as its volume increases. As film volumes decline,
you will see prices go up, and you will see more and more film
discontinued. Sure a few may stay around for a long time. DJs can still
buy albums but not at Walmart. In a few years you wont be able to get
film at Walmart either.

Mark Rogers
Frame Destination, Inc.
http://www.framedestination.com