Re: PF Exhibits on 02 APR 05

>>>I suppose that this is what the glass plate photographers said when Kodak
introduced the film cartridge...  -:))>>>

Perhaps. However, there were more emulsions available on a flexible base than on a glass base and if you drop a sheet of film, the results are less tragic than dropping a glass plate.

(Snip)

>>>Glass plate photographers had to do a great deal of planning and
pre-visualisation before shooting their picture.  The film cartridge
photographer could afford being slightly less careful because he knew that a
least one picture out of several would come out fine.  And so it went with
the 35mm camera and all the built-in automation continuing with digital.  In
this case, the evidence of failures disappears all together when the camera
disk is cleaned out after a shooting.  One can't even learn from past
mistakes.>>>

Not always true. I took many 8x10 images and I never worried about problems and mistakes. I was taught to get the job done ASAP. Same for those that used glass. It is not arrogance, just lots of experience, a knowledge of my camera (Eastman Kodak Master 8x10) and the film. What really bothers me are those photographers sent to photograph something like a building facade that burn endless quantities of Polaroid film making test shots.

I have a good knowledge of how we worked from the first days of commercial photography. We knew our stuff and we always got the job done. Some of the work we did on glass plates required a rapid turnaround, so we did not spend too much time getting the shot. We just knew we could. Like the railway and train images we took.

(Snip)

Bob