Re: digital camera batteries

Shyrell,

At 14:25 13 03 2005, you wrote:
I've been learning how to use my new digital camera, but have to keep replacing the batteries almost as fast as I put them in. I know how to turn off the review window (after burning up two sets of batteries already). What kind of batteries do all of you use? Would it be worth it to invest in rechargeable batteries along with a charger? Or should I just get a transformer and trip over the extension cord?

I have a Pentax *istD, and AF360FGZ flash. They each use 4 x AA (UM-3) batteries. Or I can use 2 x CR-V3 batteries (in each), which are 3V Lithium batteries, and look like two AAs joined together.

I'm very pleased with the NiMH AAs. Once I had gone through the "charge up, take lots of photos" cycle, two or three times, the number of photos I could take on a charge seemed to increase, and with post-capture review off (for speed of taking next photo), and low use of the camera's LCD, I can take in excess of 500 photos per charge.

I also have a Sony DSC-W1, which uses 2 x AA batteries, but will not take a CR-V3 battery. In use, the camera's LCD is on all the time. I can take in excess of 200 photos per charge.

I have not taken precise notes of exactly how many photos I can take per charge on either camera. I'm just photographing. So when I say "... in excess of ..." that's because the battery low indicator is showing, and it's often then an opportune time to change the batteries. The trick seems to be: just have a spare set of batteries.

Some years ago, I was well away from any power, and only had the original and one spare battery for my Canon Ixus S100. (Proprietary lithium-ion batteries.) I had already swapped batteries, and the charge in the second battery had been used. So I swapped batteries and got the last few photos, on a small amount of recovered charge.

The battery situation seems to be thus:
-AA NiMH rechargeable are good and economical
-CR-V3 lithium "use once" are good, work in extremes of temperature, and last a long time
-AA lithium "use once" are good, work in extremes of temperature, but do not last long
-AA alkaline "use once" will only take a very few photos, and are really for emergencies, when nothing else is available, not even pencils and paper. <g>

I have a variety of batteries, which I use only in sets of the same brand.
=NiMH AAs:
-Sanyo NiMH, HR-3U 1.2V, made in Japan
   typical 2300 mAh, minimum 2100 mAh
   8 batteries, used in *istD and flash
-Energizer NiMH, NH 15-AA 1.2V, made in Japan
   2300 mAh
   4 batteries, used in *istD
-Sony NiMH, "Stamina" NH-AA-DA HR15/51 1.2V, made in Japan
   typical 2100 mAh
   2 batteries, used in DSC-W1
-Powertech NiMH, SB-1706 http://www.jaycar.com.au 1.2V, made in China
   2000 mAh
   2 batteries, used in DSC-W1
=Lithium polymer CR-V3:
-Panasonic CR-V3 Lithium, 3V, made in Japan
   2 batteries, not yet used

At such time as I need to replace the rechargeables, I would buy more of the Sanyo or Sony, or perhaps Varta (I haven't used them, but have good reports).

You should also buy a decent battery charger. Points to consider: international voltage, conditioning of batteries.

I came across this web site, which seems to have reasonable things to say:
http://dpfwiw.com/index.htm#batteries

&i (: