Re: Online self publishing

Dan:

: When I think of Vanity press (a generic term, unless there really is a
: "Vanity Press"), I think of a scam where some poor schmuck of an author
: ends up with a basement full of unsold books after being persuaded to pay
: for the publishing of his book (I'm reminded of "Faulcault's Pendulum" by
: Umberto Eco).

I have a family friend (Michael) who vanity published a book about his
experiences rebuilding MG TC's called "TC's Forever"*

a substantial amount of work promoting it follwed, after that..  well, he
retired on the proceeds

all the profits (and the plane tickets sent to him by clubs for speaking
engagements, judging etc) were his :-)

I guess if the books good enough and there's a market and you DO the work
then anyhting's possible.

karl

*
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0731688775/qid=1110115833/sr=2-1/ref