RE: Online self publishing

When I think of Vanity press (a generic term, unless there really is a
"Vanity Press"), I think of a scam where some poor schmuck of an author
ends up with a basement full of unsold books after being persuaded to pay
for the publishing of his book (I'm reminded of "Faulcault's Pendulum" by
Umberto Eco).

What I have in mind is something like Apple's iPhoto, where you pay for one
book at a time.  I could have a link on a website, and if someone wishes to
order the book, they can do so, one at a time.  My costs and risks are
essentially zero.  The question I have concerns the quality of these books.
 Do they look like real books?

-dan c.

At 10:02 AM 06-03-05 +0000, Chris wrote:
>Called Vanity.  We have the Vanity press who will publish a book for a
>price.  However only a few make a profit or even break even.
>
>Chris.

[snip]