Re: weddings (might be a bit long-sorry)

Good Lord.

Shyrell, I'm sure I speak for everyone on this list when I tell you we
feel your pain. I can only speak for myself when I tell you (and you
know this, I realize) that 20/20 hindsight is a beautiful thing.

In this situation you are the paid professional. You are in the driver's
seat. If I may be so bold, may I suggest you assume the responsibility
and drive this situation the way you want it to go. Your job as a
professional photographer is not to bend every direction to make your
client happy at the expense of making yourself look like a dishrag. You
need to step back, think this thing over and assess what you want.

You have some choices, as I see it:

Give in and give your client everything they ask for, including
copyrights, negatives and money back so they go away and leave you
alone.
(Not an option for a second, in my book..you are definitely a passenger
in this situation)

OR

Let your client know that you did do what they asked and paid for. You
photographed their wedding. You supplied proofs. Hopefully you have a
contract outlining your responsibilities and theirs...if not, this is
the wake-up call to get one drawn up before your next event. Do you have
any other obligations to them...enlargements, book, etc? If so, let them
know you will meet those obligations in a timely, professional manner,
with professional products and prints. Then do it.

Inform them that they may NOT, under any circumstance without written
permission from you, reprint your images or scan them for distribution
in any way. AND don't offer to do this for them.

I am certain that they are disappointed and I'm also confident that you
will have to do some fancy footwork to undo some of the promises you've
already made to them (correct the images and burn them to cd so they can
go to Walmart for reprints, for example. You're killing me with that
one.). Your job was not to supply them with proofs so they could have
them copied at sub-par quality. Your job was to supply them proofs so
they could make choices as to what images they wanted reprinted and
enlarged. And then you do that for them. Like all professional
photographers, some of your images will have problems that need some
correcting...dust, scratches, dodging, burning and the like. Correcting
these problems should be a matter of course for you...not an
afterthought once they are discovered by the client.

Going back to the idea of being in the driver's seat. As a professional
you should CARE what your images look like when they leave your studio.
One way to ensure they look the way you want them to look is to control
the process. Find a professional lab, let the lab know you expect
quality and will stand for nothing less...your goal is to make the lab a
partner with you in your work. Let them know when a client is thrilled
and they'll be more than happy to work with you to make an unhappy
client happier.

The following is the text from a card that I created and insert in every
order that I send out...proofs and final orders. It lets my clients know
they can depend on me for quality and it also lets them know what they
need to do to keep their images safe for a long life.

Enclosed are the proofs from your photo shoot.
These are yours to keep and enjoy.

Catalog numbers needed for ordering reprints and enlargements are
handwritten on the back of each print.

A few things to know about the keeping and storage of photographs:

Photographs keep best when mounted behind glass in a frame or
stored in an album which does not use magnetic pages. If using
tapes or corners to mount images in albums, be certain to use
archival materials which avoid deteriorating the paper the image is
printed on.

Photographs are susceptible to fading; when hanging framed images
in your home or office, try to avoid any direct sunlight that may
fall on the print.

All negatives and digital files are archived in my office; they are
never thrown away or deleted so reprints and enlargements may be
ordered at any time, even years from now, with confidence.

Please be aware that copyright of these images stays with me and
any scanning, reprinting or reproducing of any kind is prohibited
without written permission.

Get in the driver's seat and direct this where you want it to go.
Vroom, vroom.

Lea