Photoforum Gallery 19 February 2005

Thank you for the comments so far on my "Postbox" image.  I submitted this
photo hoping for some useful critique and it's all been very helpful so far
as I'm hoping to be able to go back and have another go at this one.

The postbox is in a busy thoroughfare with trees, lamposts, street cafes and
furniture all around.  It's also on a raised walkway with the shops behind
on a lower level. Shoppers often sit on the wall immediately behind the box.
There's a shot of the location showing the environment and situation of the
postbox at
http://www.btinternet.com/~nqsm/insitu.jpg

I'd originally taken the shot hoping to use it  on the front cover of
Christmas newsletter/card but decided against that as I'd have preferred
snow, or at least some frost to make it a more seasonal picture.   So - I
decided to do some Photoshoppery to see if I could get a more 'frosty'
appearance.

There's a copy of the original frame at
http://www.btinternet.com/~nqsm/pb800.jpg

I used the polygonal lasso tool to cut/paste the postbox to a new layer then
converted the background to B/W - added a diffuse glow to both layers to try
to get a 'frosty' appearance.

The end result pleased me enough to keep the picture, but not enough to use
it for anything.  The reflections from the shop window on the right side of
the postbox (hexagonal) is something I don't  care for and I also dislike
that bright crockery in the window. The position of the box makes it awkward
to get a shot from another angle without people, trees, lamposts etc.

However, I'd like more shots of this box before it gets replaced with
something more modern. I like the idea of aiming for only the dark doorway
behind the box.  That may just  be possible.

Thanks again for the helpful comments and ideas.

Polly