Review--PF Galleries on 05 FEB 05

On Saturday, February 5, 2005, at 07:30 AM, ADavidhazy wrote:

The PhotoForum members' gallery/exhibit space was updated FEB 05 2005. Authors
with work now on display at http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html include:

Pini Vollach - Long - house mystery
Fascinating, looks like something out of an other era--very nice documentary work. The lighting is great--perfect for the man and delineating the smoke against the dark background--I'm very glad you didn't add any extra light to the scene. I don't really feel much mysteriousness here, but that doesn't detract from the interest of the photo.

I also like that you chose a low angle from which to photograph. Too many photos are made from the standing position. In saying that, I'm somewhat distracted by the out of focus bit in the lower left corner, but I don't see any way to correct that either, save more depth-of-field, which I imagine would have been difficult in this situation.

              Rich Mason -
Mine.  Nothing more to add.

Bob Talbot - Doorway
For my money, more mysterious than the long-house. An easy one to get sucked into with the dramatic lighting and good, clean composition. Despite that it feels posed, rather than found, but what the heck, I still like it.

Jeff Spirer - Pajaros
Nice capture. How often could one fill the frame with birds and not have an interesting foreground? You have managed to pull it off with the patterns of the vineyard supports. Shame about the jpeg artifacts in the sky, I'd like to see a better version.

D.L. Shipman - Anhinga and Heron
What were the weather conditions here? I can't tell if it's misty/foggy/rainy or if it's the time of day that's making this murky. I suspect rainy because I see some dark blobs in the sky. Composition is a little too bulls-eyed, perhaps it could benefit from a haircut: a little off the sides, please.

David Small - I love mom
OPA on OPA, yet it works! An interesting social commentary, nicely seen.

John Mason - Snowstorm, Forest Park, St. Louis, Missouri
I like this, and yet there's something about it making me uncomfortable. I Googled up Forest Park and then realized what was contributing to my discomfort: It's one of those urban parks where they claim it to be "an integrated ecosystem where humans and nature interact." I see it as one of those places where the landscape is managed to the point where it doesn't really feel natural--grass mowed, certain trees kept and others removed, the natural detritus of living organisms removed to make it more people-friendly. It's one of the totally un-natural, natural places we humans are so fond of creating, like a golf course--I can imagine someone driving their 5 iron through here. Like I said, I like the photograph, but it did conjure up these thoughts.

Peeter Vissak -
I like the scene and mood here, but I'm afraid the composition doesn't quite make it for me. I tried a slight crop off the bottom to eliminate the one puddle, lower left, and it felt better. The other option would have been to tilt the camera up a little more when making the picture.

Terry L. Mair - Misty Mourning
Nice to see one without the distracting copyright information. The fog gives a nice mood and the fence line does well to draw my eye into the frame. I'd like to see the edges of the tree at the left side of the frame and I'm not sure the background tree on the right adds to the composition--perhaps try a slight crop and see what you think. Was there really some mourning going on here?

Emily L. Ferguson - South Beach sunset colors
Pleasant sunset colors, maybe a bit too dark. The patterns of light and shadow don't really do much for me, I think this aspect could have been worked more--there's really nothing pulling my eyes through the frame.

That's it. Sorry it was a late review.

Cheers,
Rich

http://richmason.com