To: "List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students" <photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, January 30, 2005 8:47 PM
Subject: Re: Digital ISO; lens optimization)

I'm not sure what it all means, but Canon says "Optical coatings are optimized for use with digital cameras." This statement is specific for the "Zoom Lens EF 17-40 mm 1:4 L," that I have. The first quote is from

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=148&modelid=8940.

Are they conning us? It's a really nice lens and works perfectly with my 10D. They don't explain what they mean by "optimized." And, they don't say the lens won't work with film cameras.

As I understand all the hyperbole about image circles, as long as they are significantly larger than the image capture device, and there are no spurious reflections within the camera, there should be no problem.

Correct me if I'm naive or just plain wrong.

Roger

The requirement for the image circle is far smaller with most dSLRs because the sensor is far smaller than a 35mm frame.