Re: Suggestions Needed

At 09:42 PM 1/27/2005, you wrote:
At 06:21 PM 1/27/2005, LScottPht@xxxxxxx wrote:
Oh, that's not good. I didn't realize that. Major drawback. Now I don't know what I'm going to get. I shoot black and white about half the time, and I don't just want to convert in photoshop. In fact, in photojournalism, they tend to look down upon that. I don't even know if it's acceptable.

There's no difference between a simple conversion in PS and a black and white mode on the camera. Digital cameras don't shoot in black and white. The friend I previously referenced pushes through quite a bit in black and white, converted after the fact.

All of my digital black and whites are converted in PS. As Jeff says, the B&W mode on some digital cameras is doing the same conversion but in the camera so you don't have as much control. With PS, you can use the different channels like filters. Almost all of the photojournalists I know are now using digital and, if the photos are published in B&W, they have been converted from color.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP www.tinamanley.com

http://www.pdiphotos.com http://www.workbookstock.com http://www.newscom.com http://www.americanphotojournalist.com