Re: Rules, was; comments

Gregory david Stempel wrote:

Steichen and Steiglitz were two who tried to create a "foundation" for art photography. Would this be rules?

From the responses that I have read, it appears that I wouldn't be out of line if I suggested that many of the list members, accomplished photographers and learners alike, would benefit from a basic course in aesthetics. Not that they would find the absolute rules but they would learn the history of the rules. The ancient Greeks, with no TV, had too much time to think and they determined many of the compositional rules like the Golden Mean. It is a fascinating subject to spend some time with. The book The DaVinci even touches on the rule of thirds. At least do some online searches and reading. Of course, if I am out of line for suggesting something both educational and useful in your craft I'm sure someone will let me know.
Don Roberts

Take care,
Gregory david Stempel
FIREFRAMEi m a g i n g
www.americanphotojournalist.com

Don Roberts * Bittersweet Productions * Iowa City, IA
* *
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. --Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.