Gallery Review for 20050122

Hi all,

I'm viewing this week's images on a sub-par monitor, so might be missing some things.

Also, I've not been sleeping these days and might be excessively grumpy today. The comments here tend to the negative, so if that's a problem, I wouldn't read them. They are meant in a constructive spirit, though.

Best to all,

Brian vdB

Greg Fraser - Inner Beauty <http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/fraser.html>

Nicely ethereal. It makes me think of dancing blobs.
As a card-carrying vegetarian, I don't think I'd be up for doing it, but I'd be curious to see what the same set-up together with some macro equipment would give.

Jeff Spirer - Bows <http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/spirer.html>

This is the one where I suspect the monitor I'm using is most likely to keep me from seeing things. But, as it appears here, I don't see anything in the image, really. Perhaps it would help if the left side were cropped in a good ways. I do like the luminosity of the bow, though.

Jim Snarski - Last Light <http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/snarski.html>

10 minutes earlier and this would be much more interesting is my guess. I imagine that the actual site is breathtaking, but, since the quality of the light leaves the colours so muted, I do have to imagine.

Qkano - Blue Moon <http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/talbot.html>

I like the texture of the sand and the way it bleeds into the waves. The figure is, for me, a distraction which takes away from the interesting part of the shot.

David Small - From the bus <http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/small.html>

Bob's review pointed out the background fellow being in motion while the foreground figure is not. What interests me is that the foreground figure, despite being sharp, does look like he is the process of falling over.
What's the line across his left chest/arm?

Dan Mitchell - Door <http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/mitchell.html>

I like the colour contrast here a lot, and think the textures are really nice. While I know there has been recent discussion of the rule o' thirds and I do agree that rules were made to be broken, the near perfect central alignment of the cross-hairs formed by the left edge of the yellow plank and the spar (?) of the latch shouldn't be just where they are, I think. Not necessarily on on of the thirds, but surely not dead centre, either.

Kostas Papakotas - while the teacher is out of town <http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/papakotas.html>

I agree with Bob about the unfortunate crop of the hat (given that the hat is there). But, I think eyes in would take away the interest this does have for me. With them blurred over like that, and the resulting oddity of the smile, the shot makes me think of some sort of distopian science-fiction future. (Maybe she's 'furniture' in the sense of Goddard's Alphaville? -- here's hoping I've got my references aright.) That would be enhanced without the hat, I think.

Christopher Strevens - David with Nude <http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/strevens.html>

I'm sorry, but my first reaction to this is a puzzled 'why?' Bob mentioned my second thought -- the shadows are so off in alignment that right away, something seems fishy.