Gallery Review for 20050122

Mediocre Stuff on display at  http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html
includes:

Greg Fraser - Inner Beauty
Surprised you had the guts to take this shot.

A cow's stomach you say?  "Alimentary my dear Watson"
Coincidentally tonight I'm off to a Burns Night fundraiser - that'll
be Haggis for sure.

The picture- no idea if it's really a photo but don't care.  I like
it. Well done Vlad, it's clearly too skilled to be one of Greg's own
:o)

Jeff Spirer - Bows
Should I tell the truth or talk around the image without actually
saying anything?
Truth is, I can't get to like this shot however many times I look at
it, even knowing how much I like most (>50%) of the work jeff shows
here.  It's clearly not meant to be a bog standard shot, but the
effect isn't grabbing me at all.  If it were all the result of a
digital filter maybe that would explain it.

Qkano - Blue Moon
Is this corny or what.  I've seen better shots achieved digitally, the
fact it's taken on film "in camera" does not lift it.  The message I
think, for buggering about, digital wins.

David Small - From the bus
"Additional details: N.Y.C. part of street portrait series
unfortunately it will be illgal to photograph on public transportation
shortly. As if that would stop a terrorist. "
Very timely: but it will stop non-terrorists and that's what Big
Brother wants.  Unbending acceptance of whatever the screen tells you.

The picture: a bloke dozes on a bus.  He's obviousli not moving while
the guy in the background clearly is. the play of the name and the
sleeper (ooh, sounds like a terrorist cell)  are a common facet of
street photos, or at least the ones that work for me.  It looks like I
was there, which I guess is what David wanted to achieve after all.

Dan Mitchell - Door
Did you keep the receipt for that lens?  The barrel distortion is
yukky. Or was the distortion part of the door/

I like the pattern, I was wondering at first if there was selective
desat going on but I'm not convinced of that.

I'm trying to follow the clues in this one: what is it saying.  The
dominant colour is not a mellow yellow - "A lemon entry my dear
Watson".

Kostas Papakotas - while the teacher is out of town
Even with the eyes present I don't think you presented this at it's
best.
You've only used levels 15-182 which makes it look flat and washed
out.
Minor niggles, loads of room above her head yet you cropped off the
brim off her hat?

If the eyes had been shown AND she had been looking at the camera it
might have worked.  The lack of the eyes really flattens it.

Christopher Strevens - David with Nude
There is something very revealing about the characters on sale for
Bryce (etc) - very stereotypically nude females with big eyes and big
tits. I guess it's what sells.  The reality of computer animation
really is coming close to what Randy Little predicted here only 4 or
so years ago.  Chris is new to the game but still can't move away from
pictures that involve naked cyber-women.  Should we be offended?
Worried  I would think is nearer to the truth.

Is there a subliminal message?   Don't know.  What exactly is a tame
girl? Why are the shadows of the two chracters at a drastically
different angle to the shadow of a large tree just behind them?  Why
is the lighting on David so hard and directional yet the trees in the
background are softly lit?  OK, it's early days for Chris with this
new software: done well it's getting hard to distinguish simulations
from photos in some instances.  The aim though, even for fantasy, is
to be physically consistent with the rendering (light source direction
and quality?  No?

Last of all Chis: real women like shopping: don't be so tight fisted,
buy her some clothes (you can always take them off later in the
privacy of your home :o) .  They do some good costumes for the Bryce
characters ...

Bob