RE: Getting an audience at a gallery

When I lived in Oregon, I learned of Portland's Pearl
District gallery crawls on thursday nights (first of
the month?  i forget)...seemed more of a party scene
than anything really...but then, what's a starving
artist without a little drunken drama?
--- lookaround360@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Marilyn,
>
> A common practice is "gallery crawls."  Our
> attendance at openings
> increased substantially when we coordinated them
> with the other
> galleries in the downtown area. We invite people for
> noon  "brown bag"
> talks on the last Friday of the show - even manage
> to get a sponsor for
> those sometimes. The artist(s) or one of our members
> talks about the
> show.  We also encourage teachers to bring classes.
> You shouldn't
> expect too much walk-in traffic.
>
> Try dressing  as a giant tube of Windsor Newton
> cadmium orange paint and
> wave at people driving by the gallery.  :-)
>
> AZ
>
> Build a Lookaround!
> The Lookaround Book, 2nd ed.
> NOW SHIPPING
> http://www.panoramacamera.us

=====

"The optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds.
 The pessimist fears it's true"  - J Robert Oppenheimer

http://www.geocities.com/tr_cunningham