Re: D100 colour balance

I never did get an accurate color on the Christmas ribbon on the lamp post dispite using all the different white balance options. My conclusion is that the ribbon has optical brightners which either fools the eyes or fools the camera. That leads to the question do digital camera pick up UV light or are they blind to it?
I did determine that setting the white balance manually was better than auto in most cases but was still able to fool the manual set balance when I had just a purple towel 50% of picture and a sidewalk for 50% of the picture. In this situation the automatic white balance produced more accurate results. I also found an extra menu item on a separate page that looks like one can set the white balance using a white/ or grey card and will check the directtion book about it. Digital cameras are mor like video cameras than tradional still cameras in fuctining.