Re: Rights and the law

> There was a movement where art
> galleries in NYC displayed actual tomb stones that had been taken
from different
> grave yards in the US and Canada but then some law enforcement
person went on
> a vendetta and stopped the practice

 Heck, photographers shouldn't become grave-robbers.

Presumably someone holds copyright to the words written on
gravestones?
Either the stonemason or the family member who commissioned it I
guess.

Presumably, apart from very old generic messages (such  as "Rest In
Peace") someone should be earning royalties.

Is it any defence to claim that a photograph of a copyrighted piece of
text is any different from a textual copy of it?  Is it?  That is, if
I use someone's poem on my home page without permission I'm surely
breaching their copyright but am I still if I portray a photography of
an object in a public place bearing a transcript of the same.

The world can become a very silly place if you look at it in a silly
way ;o)