Re: PF weekly gallery update postponed - ANNOUNCEMENT

I recently visited the J. Paul Getty Museum and was able to see the exhibit "Close to Home: An American Album."

(http://www.getty.edu/art/exhibitions/close_to_home/)

Surprised by how intriguing the exhibit actually is, I spent a good chunk of time looking at the photographs. I found it fascinating. At first glance it was just old photographs that are found in any family album or baskets of old photographs in antique stores.

After studying the images for a time, however, I was completely absorbed by the photographs. It made me realize how much alike we all are and how well the camera tells us this.

I know I could have come home, gone through old family albums and matched many of the photographs I'd seen at the exhibit with photographs in my personal albums. The Family of Man really is a family whether we like it or not.

As the statement by the museum says, "Not every snapshot is a masterpiece, but a photograph does not have to be a masterpiece to tell a story."

If any of you live in the L.A. area, or are planning to visit the region before January 16 (the last day of the exhibit), I'd make it a point to see this show.

The museum is a treasure and should be seen any time you have an opportunity. If you are coming to visit it from out of town, give yourself at least two days to explore the entire complex.

Happy New Year to all PhotoForum members.

Marilyn

Leave gentle fingerprints on the
soul of another for the angels to read.

Proverb