Re: D100 colour balance

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 12:27:52 +1100, Deen Hameed
<deenhameed@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote/replied to:

>	That's why I said I would use AutoWB when shooting RAW in _changeable light_. It's not always viable to use any preset WB (measured or otherwise) if the conditions are changing.

Depends on how changable you're talking. Usually my shooting is in a
few series of shots, all with the same WB. So you might have to
correct groups of images but they wouldn't be all over the place as
you might get with AWB. I admit that my 10D's AWB works well, but I
really prefer keeping it on Daylight WB. One less thing to worry
about, and Capture One makes it easy if I do need to adjust.

I used to change the camera to Tungsten indoors, Cloudy when it was
cloudy, etc. But then I found out I didn't need to so I don't.
Anything that doesn't reduce quality, but makes taking photos easier
and with less technical thought is a good thing to me.

And that's why I love digital (Bob), because it frees me up. I only
think about a few things to do with the camera to setup. I basically
turn it on and start shooting. I keep my camera ready for birds at all
times, servo focus, multi frame, ISO 800, etc :-)

>	Changing the WB from Auto-WB to any preset in RAW mode is just as easy regardless of whatever the camera chose anyway. If all the images were shot in a specific light, I could just make adjustments to one image (in this case, among other things, set the specific colour temperature) and then apply the same adjustments to all the images I chose to with Nikon Capture.

Guess you haven't tried the standard Canon software :-)

--
Jim Davis, Nature Photography:
  http://jimdavis.oberro.com/