Re: portraits and permissions / was: PF Exhibits on 04 DEC 04

I hate to sound stereotypical, but I will in this case.  For the overwhelming majority of the population here that can afford cameras, I see extraordinarily few people take a picture without a friend or loved one in the frame.  Many of my students are shocked when I say that, until the school supplies me with studio materials and lighting for portraiture, pictures of their buddies clowning will only be taken if they join Ms. Creamer's Yearbook class.  A common response is, "But what will I take a picture of?"  (Perspective piece:  only 50% of my students have been to the pyramids...they don't care)  In a society where family and friendship is survival, and precious natural and historical resources are discarded like candy wrappers, you quickly realise how limited the vision of the whole world is...sort of a weakest link reality.  Thank god for digital, now we won't have all those cheesy albums laying around.

Gregory Stempel <fyrframe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

but I find people extremely difficult to photograph genuinely if they know they're being photographed.<<<<

A young friend of ours went on a two week vacation. When she returned with about 100 photographs to show off, every one of them had her in the frame. "Here I am standing in front of the Grand Canyon." "Here I am standing in front of the Mississippi River," etc., etc.

I practically yelled the question at her, "you didn't take any photographs of just the scenery?! She replied "no, why should I?"

Take care,
Gregory david Stempel
FIREFRAMEi m a g i n g
www.americanphotojournalist.com

"The optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds.
 The pessimist fears it's true"  - J Robert Oppenheimer

http://www.geocities.com/tr_cunningham

Do you Yahoo!?