image quality - film vs. digital

I am a commercial wedding, artwork, portrait photographer who has used film
for my entire career. I use Portra 160NC for any work whjich involves people
as subjects. I am seriously considering switching over to a digital SLR
system. My present camera is a Canon Elan7. The digital camera I have my
eyes on is the Canon 20D, an 8.3 Mpx camera which is quite new on the
market.
    My questions are these:
1. is there a narrower tonal range possible with digital than with film, as
I have heard from some other photographers; I have done a preliminary test
which suggests that this is the case.
2. is there poorer tonal gradation with digital than w/ film? again this is
something I've heard but haven't yet experienced
3. is there less exposure lattitude?
4. is there less flexibility in recording light sources of varying color
temperature (e.g., flash and tungsten)

    Any of you who have used digital SLR's fairly extensively, I would  love
to hear your opinions on these issues. Thanks.
            Dave Moore