Re: image quality - film vs. digital

Speaking as someone who has not been forced to go digital (yet)

> The digital camera I have my
> eyes on is the Canon 20D, an 8.3 Mpx camera which is quite new on
the
> market.
If you are doing this stuff professionally you can't afford NOT to
have a digital dody in your repertoire.  The D20 is a really good
choice.

> 1. is there a narrower tonal range possible with digital than with
film, as
FACT: yes
Is it material?
Mmmm ...probably not.
Answer I guess is "it depends" on your workflow and what you read into
that word "possible"

> 2. is there poorer tonal gradation with digital than w/ film? again
this is
> something I've heard but haven't yet experienced
Again: "it depends"
1) how much work you put into your current developing and printing
vs
2) the exact digital workflow.

If you are doing weddings in bright sunlight with the full range of
tones from "WHITE" to the groom's dark green (off-black) velvet jacket
a D20 saving files as jpegs CANNOT match the ultimate potential of
appropriately-exposed negative file.  8-bits per channel per pixel
with 2.2 gamma via simple maths CANNOT hold detail in all the regions
 OTOH if you get your current prints done by the local Mall, chance
are you are getting nothing like what is "possible" off the film
either.

> 3. is there less exposure lattitude?
YES

 >I would  loveto hear your opinions on these issues.
Well, I have not used them extensively but still think you should get
your first digital body.
Initially, keep using what you know for the standard "staged" shots
but start using the digi for the more casual stuff.  You need
experience with the medium before switching anyway.  If you find your
customers are happy with the speed of the results and yourself with
the quality you can soon buy a second D20 (as you will need 2 bodies
if you are really a pro ...

Bob