RE: dry mount tissue removal

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 22:33:36 -0500, "Emily L. Ferguson" <elf@xxxxxxxx>
wrote/replied to:

>Well, I dunno.  What I've got is a print with some dry and some still
>sticky stick-um on it.  The actual sheet of drymount is no longer in
>evidence if it actually exists and isn't just a sheet of glue,
>anyway.  Never have known what the drymount stuff is made of.
>
>I don't think I want to soak the print in anything because I wouldn't
>want to risk that the sticky stuff would get into the soaking medium
>and around onto the face of the print.
>
>Now if the sticky stuff is actually just something like rubber cement
>applied unspeakably smoothly on the back of the print, how would one
>get that off?

It sounds like a cold mount adhesive has been applied to the back of
the print. This is a tough one.

If you want to protect your print, wet it and put it face down onto a
piece of glass. Then you can try various chemical to remove the
adhesive on the back.

If it doesn't soften with water, try alcohol. As a last resort, a
stronger solvent like paint thinner, and very last laquer thinner.

I've actually cleaned prints with all of the above with no damage to
the emulsion. Just don't rub abrasively with anything.

I used to work in laminating and mounting and when we had a disaster
like a big print with mount applied wrong or laminate we did manage to
remove it with plenty of chemicals and hard work. We used mostly
alcohol but it depends on the type of adhesive you have. It may be
water soluble if you're lucky.

Just keep the wet print face down on glass and don't let it dry.

--
Jim Davis, Nature Photography:
  http://jimdavis.oberro.com/