Re: Quiz re Shutters

"James B. Davis" <jbdavis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 07:55:44 +0000, wildimages@xxxxxxxxxxx
> wrote/replied to:
>
>>I typed "Kerr cell" (including quotation marks) into Google and the top
>>ranked hit seemed to answer the question.
>>
>>http://www.elec.gla.ac.uk/groups/opto/Kerr.html
>
> Just wondering why you typed the quotes. I Googled it without and the
> first link was the same as above.
>
> Do the quotes have a purpose at times?

Yes.  Without quotes, google finds you pages with both words on them.
*With* quotes, google finds you pages with the *phrase* on them.
(putting hyphens between the words accomplishes about the same
thing).

It's *really* worth learning how to use google better; check out their
search tips, add a new tool to your toolbox each week for a while.