Quiz re Shutters

"Basic Materials and Processes of Photography by Stroebel, Compton, Current and Zakia"

This book is expensive...

However, revealing my true ignorance (I assume that only I don't know of them since no-one else queried them!) I can't find anywhere a simple reference to Kerr Cells / optical effect within the normal practice of photography. In fact I couldn't, with a search in Google, find a readable indication of what a Kerr Cell is...

Any URLs easy on the eye and intellect please?

Howard