Re: Quiz re Shutters

ADavidhazy <andpph@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>>Do they have a fair amount of neutral density, too?  Just curious; I
>>doubt I'll ever work with one.
>
> Right. I doubt any of us "regular" photographers will work with one
> but of the nuclear bomb explosion photographs many were made with
> just such a shutter.

I've got Edgerton's book, with some of the *very* early bomb photos in
it, and have read that and some other articles on how various things
were done back then.

> Inherent neutral density when they were supposed to be totally
> transmissive did not really matter. Also they have a significant
> transmission (well, this is also relative in terms of application)
> when they are supposed to be opaque so they are most often used in
> conjunction with a capping shutter of sorts - a mechanical one for
> example.

I'd guessed that the bomb photographs were the kind of place you'd
need that kind of shutter speed, and that in that application a bit of
neutral density wasn't going to be a big problem, yes.

I remember reading about using explosives turn a sheet of glass to
powder thus rendering it opaque in a very short time as one of the
techniques used.