Review

I rarely write reviews, but my wife helped and I liked some of the images this week. I don't have any standardized system, so what you get is what you get (WYGIWYG, since acronyms seem popular here.)

The PhotoForum members' gallery/exhibit space was updated OCT 24 04. Authors
with work now on display at  http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html include:

Greg Fraser - Wildflower

This looks like the inverse of my photo in the gallery this week, in some strange way. I really don't like flower photos, but this seems more about the light, so I find it works in some way other than as a flower photo. Maybe as an abstraction, removed from the subject.

Peeter Vissak - Traffic light

This doesn't work for me. Maybe a more interesting car, a Lamborghini or something, would rescue it, but it seems somewhat anemic and maybe a bit contrived. Also, it's awkward compositionally.

Deen Hameed - Hatta Mountains

I'm sure it was fun to look at, but it doesn't seem to come together. The plant in the front isn't that interesting, it could be a Toyota, and the background is too far away to make up for that.

Achal Pashine - John Muir Woods National Park, CA

Now here's something funny. This was on the screen and my wife walked by. She said "that's really nice" and then "is it Muir Woods?" So it's successful as a photo and as a document. I like the light, it's a great capture.

Emily L. Ferguson - Survivors

This seems a bit lightweight, not enough compositionally or color-wise. But I'm a headbanger, so maybe that's just me.

Leslie Spurlock - Gonaives Flood, Haiti

Of all the Haiti photographs that Leslie has shown in the gallery, this is my favorite, despite the focus being behind the real subject here. It has a poignancy that works well and nice colors, although it would have been nice to have a blue sky. However, it would be nice to have that most of the time.

Jim Davis - Little Grebe

I'm not into nature shots so I showed it to my wife. She thought it was great. I think the vertical things make it more interesting than the average nature shot.

Pini Vollach - C R A P

Hey, you named it, I didn't.

Veli Cigirgan - Jerusalem, Old City

OK, I've shot a lot of things like this, people along old walls and all that. Like some of mine, this needs more to make it interesting. More color, some face, a more iconic composition, something., As it is, it's a decent travel shot, but I can't see it as more than that.

Howard Leigh - Teenage Dreams

This is a great scene. I'd probably look for a different composition, but that's just me. It's still a great scene.

Marilyn Dalrymple - Now, where is that lens she wants?

I know this is a cute shot, but it's probably obvious by now that cute isn't my thing. I think this would work better with different tonality, maybe even black and white, because I find it a bit jumbled, and it takes me a while to figure out what's going on.

Well that's my view, probably could say it better, especially if I used the CRAP system, maybe I'll try that next time.

Jeff Spirer
Photos: http://www.spirer.com
One People: http://www.onepeople.com/
Surfaces and Marks: http://www.withoutgrass.com