Re: the end is nayy...

I think you're right about considering more carefully what is posted to the Gallery. It can be difficult to separate those which are pleasing personal images (pet and family portraits, etc.) from what is good, or interesting, for a larger audience. I could probably submit a photo I find pleasing of one of my cats to the gallery every week but I doubt PF members would find them as entertaining as I do. Not to say there is anything wrong with these types of pictures, but they have more personal significance to me than they would to others. It would have to be one exceptional photo for me to submit one to the Gallery.

Another point is learning how to edit--both when deciding on what to train a lens on and which of the captured photons to pass over when deciding which ones are keepers. Learn to be your own harshest critic. If you don't think something quite works, it probably doesn't work. Why might it not work?

Here's a short list of flaws from this week's Gallery:

Unfocused blob in a corner--see the whole frame when photographing.
No real center of interest--decide what you are trying to say with the photograph.
Unsharpness--focus more carefully, use a higher shutter speed or use a tripod. Or all of the preceding.
Technical flaws in printing--use the proper equipment.
Subject smack dab in the middle of frame--try for more dynamic composition. Work the subject.
Equipment failure--sometimes results in interesting pictures.
Poor cropping--what is left out may have raised the quality of the picture. What is left in may be extraneous. You decide.

I suppose that could count as a minor review of the Gallery. I don't have time to do a real one as it's late here and I have to check out of the motel in the morning.

Curious though, is this one CRAP? http://richmason.com/utne/mooned.jpg Or just someone making an ass of themselves?

Cheers,
Rich Mason