Gallery Crap Oct 21, 2004

My opinions of the absolute garbage in this weeks gallery at http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/photoforum.html.

Veli Cigirgan (Old City Jerusalem, Jewish Quarter) - I come in from the left of the image but get only as far as the tree which sweeps me up and drives me back to the left before I can see what's on the right. Annoyed, I try again and this time I resist the tree only to find a garbage can and trash on the ground. I feel disappointed for I was expecting something exciting and forbidden. Studying the left side of the image I notice the out of focus table in the foreground. Everything in this image is screaming 'STAY ON THE LEFT SIDE!' Perhaps this is a political message - The left is where the action is. The right is garbage. Perhaps not. Either way there is a very powerful lack of balance here. Cool.

Pini Vollach (Tea Cups) - This shot reminds me of an Escher print of a dressing table with a mirror that is reflecting an outdoor scene although the desk appears to be indoors. Also cool.

Per Ofverbeck - Tremendous depth of field. I would prefer the spoon turned so that it points towards the vanishing point (90 degrees). As it is, I find the line it forms competes with the lines of the table and I really want to travel back along the table lines. I like the thumbnail more than the larger version because it offers more mystery. The larger print is a shot of the back yard whereas the smaller one is more about the light on the table.

Gregory david Stempel (Narrows Bridge No. 2 ) - What I like most about this is the detail goes all the way up the image yet its dark enough to draw me up to see what I might see. Very nice.

Trevor Cunningham (blueberry pickin' ) - Well I just don't know about this one. I'm pretty sure I like it because I get the feeling of being up on some really high hill or mountain and I like being up there. Yeah, I guess I like it.

Elisha Page (Dancing with Light) - My kids like this one and so do I. Perfect amount of blur. The person on the left seems to be looking backwards and her/his body looks like an abstract nude while the middle person appears to be dressed in a jacket and pants. Its more than just a blurry shot of pretty colors.

Deen Hameed (Yugi-Oh! Green Eyes Black Dragon) - My son loves the title. I like the milky blur at the edges of the frame. Good pussy portrait.

David Small (Lines Crossed) - Aside from the fact that she's either on a cell phone in a phone booth or shaving her ear, this image doesn't really speak to me.

Emily L. Ferguson (blunt-leaved milkweed) - This image doesn't say much to me either. Sure they're fun to play with but the image is kind of soft and I would like to see each of the little fibers clearly specially with the sunlight making them sparkle.

Peeter Vissak (Self-portrait on the kitchen window) - This one presents a very important question. Did Peeter forget his polarizing filter or did he really intend for this to be a self portrait? Change those few green leaves to red please. What kind of camera is that? How come there's no snow yet?

Howard Leigh (Fallen Leaf) - Why does the stem of the leaf extend out the right side of the frame when there is so much space to the left of the leaf? Although the leaf is nice and sharp, so is the busy background which distracts me.

Laurenz Bobke (Kyoto Theatre Scene) - This is a cool scene but I am troubled by the fact that it seems to be leaning to the right.

Enough of this. Thank you gallery staff and Mr. Hazy for presenting yet another fine gallery.

Greg Fraser
http://home.golden.net/~fraserg