Re: PF Exhibits on 16 OCT 04

Dear Colleagues,

I have been contacted by a number of photoforum members* who ask that I review this week's gallery.

I spent 3 days at a wedding early this week. It's the first 3 day wedding I've been to, and I must admit it's the best wedding I've been to (other than my own :-).

Looking at the thumbnails made me look at my fingers. Have I forgotten how to count to 10? have 2 of my fingers mysteriously dropped off? <shrug>

Veli Cigirgan - Old City Jerusalem, Jewish Quarter

I'm not sure that I see anything in this shot that I wouldn't see in any city -- still maybe that's not the point.. Without the corner of the table and the rubbish, I think it would be better. But I'm just compulsively tidy (don't try to verify that with my wife though).

Pini Vollach - Tea Cups

Hey, that's cute. I'm a bit thick -- it took me a few moments to realise it was a reflection in a tray... Strangely I find my eye drawn to the out of focus reflection more than to the tea cups. Perhaps it's because I don't drink tea?

Per Ofverbeck -

Oh yeah.  I like this.  What more can I say?

Gregory david Stempel - Narrows Bridge No. 2

Nice shot.  It's a pity you told me how you shot it though.  ;-)

Trevor Cunningham - blueberry pickin'

Hmmm, looks infra-red. But why the bright corners/ends? It looks like you used a centre spot filter on a lens that didn't need one?

Elisha Page - Dancing with light

Serendipity? Are they going to put it in their album? Gee, I would if it was from my wedding!

Deen Hameed - Yugi-Oh! Green Eyes Black Dragon

Here kitty kitty kitty!  Nice kitty.  Yep a nice kitty!

David Small - Lines Crossed

Hahahaha!  Yeah.  It's a tad soft though.

Emily L. Ferguson - blunt-leaved milkweed

Nice!!! But what is it with all these bloody drop shadows? Don't tell me that photoshop has a new function called "add cheesy drop shadow"? Not having a go at you Emily -- I've seen a few of these and to my mind they really *don't* add to the image. If anything I find it distracting. But hey, I'm a traditionalist. I don't even look at web pages on a monitor. I get them printed first, then I write my emails out with a quill and ink.

Peeter Vissak - Self-portrait on the kitchen window

An interesting mix of the inside and outside. It makes me think of shots where you *really* want to take the shot, but you can't help but be in it (either because of reflections, shadow, or some other reason). I had one of those on the weekend. I chose to hang on to a brace of helium baloons (is that the correct colective term?) so at least my shadow was interesting :-)

Howard Leigh - Fallen Leaf

I was really waiting for this one after seeing the thumbnail, but I'm a little disapointed :-( And I don't even know why.

Laurenz Bobke - Kyoto Theatre Scene

I quite like this.  I think it's an image that really works for me.

And now for my best shots of the week... (In no particular order) Laurenz, Elisha, Per.

Best,
UnBob

* 0 is a number