Re: Fw: Suggestions and Recomendations needed

At 1:14 PM -0500 10/19/04, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

 > (duh, duhmb....)

My life has consisted of a series of such realizations, so I'm not
going to offer *too* much sympathy :-).

I'd think it would make you more sympathetic ;-)

Would you say it's just coincidence that you're realizing this now, or
is it some inherent property of digital (I'd focus on the rapid
turnaround myself) that caused you to figure it out now?

It's the immediacy of the process. Get in the car, search for an attractive spot, find a place to dump the car, get out the gear, set up the tripod, set up the first shot, shoot the bracket, set up the next shot, shoot etc. etc. etc. until starvation intervenes. Find coffee and lunch. Repeat hunting and shooting process in the afternoon.

Drive home.  Feed cat.

Download cards. Look over the take. Notice, right then and there at 8pm, just what's going on. Convert from RAW with software, study chosen image, look at histogram in PS. Think it over.

Notice light bulb over head shining more brightly than it used to in the days of film.

Or maybe
it's the fact that digital represents a *change* to you and started
you thinking about fundamentals more again?  Just curious.

I think the fundamentals are certainly more accessible (sp?) when you can look at them over there on the right column next to the thumbnails, but I have been tuning in to my technique over the years. I've just never kept notebooks of every shot, so I don't have that info to hand when I get the film back.

But I'll tell ya. I really like this digital stuff.
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxx 508-563-6822