Re: Fw: Suggestions and Recomendations needed

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 07:50:04 -0500, lea <lea@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote/replied to:

>If your highlights are clipping underexpose your image until they are no
>longer clipping (dial in -1/3 stop or so, check it as it may require
>more) and fire away. You will be able to brighten the image back up in
>Photoshop and the best part is that you'll have data in your highlights.
>
>I shoot with the Canon 10D and in my histogram window the blown areas
>flash black on the actual image so they are very easy to see.

I'm going to add that there are times when you want the histogram to
blow out the right side. And that's when your main subject is dark or
in less light than most of the scene metered and shown in the
histogram. If you underexpose your main subject it will be grainy or
noisy and of poor quality.

If the highlights are important, by all means retain detail in them,
but always think about where your main subject lies on the histogram.
You can only capture a limited range, just like slide film, and you
have to adjust that range to suit the subject, the lighting, and the
effect you want.

--
Jim Davis, Nature Photography:
  http://jimdavis.oberro.com/