Re: Suggestions and Recomendations needed

David:

Thanks,  That makes sense

Tim

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

Tim Holmes <W8TAH@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Ok, folks, Thanks for all the great suggestions and comments. I
gonna throw out a real newbie question here because I've always only
used TTL metering for flashes, or just gone with a guess as to
exposure. Several of you have mentioned using my camera as the the
flash meter. I definatly know how to meter a scene in manual and
the automatic modes, but I have absolutely no idea how to make it
meter for the flash. I realize that many of you might not be
familiar with the D70, but if you would give general principals, I
can likely translate those to camera specific information.

This same procedure works for manual flash and for available light:

1. Pick an exposure completely at random. (Or, better, if your
experience lets you, pick one that's vaguely sensible.
Whichever.)

2. Shoot the picture at that exposure.

3. Examine the histogram and preview, and decide if it's overexposed,
underexposed, or just right (in which case, stop).

4. Adjust exposure (or lighting) to improve things.

5. Go to 2.