Re: Suggestions and Recomendations needed

Deen: thanks so much for your suggestions and procedures, I will study them and see what works out.

Thanks again

TIM

Deen Hameed wrote:

At 2004-10-18, 20:19:09 Tim Holmes (W8TAH@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

Ok, folks, Thanks for all the great suggestions and comments. I gonna throw out a real newbie question here because I've always only used TTL metering for flashes, or just gone with a guess as to exposure.

Several of you have mentioned using my camera as the the flash meter. I definatly know how to meter a scene in manual and the automatic modes, but I have absolutely no idea how to make it meter for the flash. I realize that many of you might not be familiar with the D70, but if you would give general principals, I can likely translate those to camera specific information.

Tim, it's easy enough to use the D70 as a rough and ready flash meter. Steps below:

1. Set up the lights as you like.
2. Set the camera on Manual Exposure Mode
3. Shutter Speed to 1/125
4. Aperture to f8
5. Take a shot
6. Play the image & bring up the histogram (push the selector right)
7. The histogram should be as close to the right as possible without any clipping

The nice thing about using the digital camera rather than a flash mater is that you will also get to see the shadows and the tones in the image and can adjust your lights accordingly. So its also a subjective decision, but the histogram is a good thing to start/work on.

I am hoping to find out a good deal more about the shoot today, and could also use some suggestions in the following areas:

1. What sizes / options are usually included in packages for this type of shoot

Keep it simple and offer it in 5"x7" or maybe a blow up to 8"x12".

- I have photoshop cs, and I was thinking of putting the student or couples name(s) on the pics or something like that

That's just daggy :D but hey...

- I have the ability to print up to 8X10 with my printer or larger if I outsource (I really dont want to add any fuel to that controversy right now, I will do some tests and see what works best in this situation)

2. What finish is usually used for this kind of work. I have been printing most of my work on glossy, but is a matte finish more appropriate (why/why not)

Although glossy has deeper colours, matt is (very) more resistant to fingerprints. They WILL touch it, and with glossy you can kiss it bye-bye.

3. Is it appropraite to collect orders before the shoot, and then shoot only those who order, or should I shoot all commers, watermark a copy of the pic and post it to a website for later orders (other ideas)?

If you can, I suggest you find a good 1-hour lab nearby, and arrange for the prints to be made right there. Either you or an assistant can deliver the cards and bring the prints back, and that way people can buy the prints on the spot.

They will be more inclined to purchase it when they can see it right there, in front of them.

And although some of the prints are not going to be sold (if priced too high, or if the shots ain't hot), the lab will give you good rates because its a bulk order, and the savings in time (uploading images, taking orders, shipping them) will more than offset the difference.

I think that thats all for now, but I'm sure I'll have more questions later. thanks again for all the help

Have fun

Timothy A. Holmes
Fine Light Photography

Best regards, Deen