Re: Suggestions and Recomendations needed

Ok, folks, Thanks for all the great suggestions and comments. I gonna throw out a real newbie question here because I've always only used TTL metering for flashes, or just gone with a guess as to exposure.

Several of you have mentioned using my camera as the the flash meter. I definatly know how to meter a scene in manual and the automatic modes, but I have absolutely no idea how to make it meter for the flash. I realize that many of you might not be familiar with the D70, but if you would give general principals, I can likely translate those to camera specific information.

I am hoping to find out a good deal more about the shoot today, and could also use some suggestions in the following areas:

1. What sizes / options are usually included in packages for this type of shoot
- I have photoshop cs, and I was thinking of putting the student or couples name(s) on the pics or something like that
- I have the ability to print up to 8X10 with my printer or larger if I outsource (I really dont want to add any fuel to that controversy right now, I will do some tests and see what works best in this situation)

2. What finish is usually used for this kind of work. I have been printing most of my work on glossy, but is a matte finish more appropriate (why/why not)

3. Is it appropraite to collect orders before the shoot, and then shoot only those who order, or should I shoot all commers, watermark a copy of the pic and post it to a website for later orders (other ideas)?

I think that thats all for now, but I'm sure I'll have more questions later. thanks again for all the help

Timothy A. Holmes
Fine Light Photography

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

lea <lea@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

I can't recommend a flash meter other than to say mine is a Sekonic and
it wasn't at all cheap. Others may know more about options for cheap
ones than I do. A hunt on Ebay would likely give you some info.

Mine's a Gossen Luna Pro F -- kinda low end flash meter, but it's done
what I need.

Haven't touched it since I went digital -- test shots are easier *and*
more accurate.