Re: film users: what kind/brand/format of film do you use? why?

unBob Rosen <afterswift@xxxxxx> writes:

> Dear Colleagues,
>
> Sally Mack wrote:
>
>> For those of you who use film, what do you use and why?  What are
>> your favored shooting conditions and subjects?  Have you tried a
>> film that you especially disliked?  Why?
>>
> When I shoot 35mm b&w I prefer the following:
>
> TMAX 3200 (although recently I've used Ilford 3200)  In both cases I
> use them at an EI of 1600.  I develop them in Rodinal.  I find TMAX's
> grain structure nicer, although the Ilford emulsion isn't too bad.

I find I have a strong preference for the Ilford; the TMAX is just
flat somehow.  However, I'm not developing either myself.

> FP4+ again, developed in Rodinal (hey -- I develop *everything* in
> Rodinal).  I like the look of this film and it's pretty forgiving.

I shot 100 feet of that once, back in the 1970s.  Most hated film I
ever saw.

I'm actually really impressed with the Ilford XP2 Super (after having
a really bad experience with the original XP, back in the 1980s).