film users: what kind/brand/format of film do you use? why?

For those of you who use film, what do you use and why? What are your favored shooting conditions and subjects? Have you tried a film that you especially disliked? Why?

The best way to determine the best film is to shoot a few test rolls but I'd like a heads-up on anything really good or really bad.

I use Kodak's "new" Portra VC (Vivid Color) negative film, either 160 or 400 ASA in my 35mm Nikon FM3a, which is totally manual. I use only natural lighting and shoot "nature," often water, sticks, weeds, whatever's where I'm shooting. (The websites http://home.earthlink.net/~photographs.by.sally.mack/ and http://home.earthlink.net/~photographs.by.sally.mack2/ show some of my photos.)

I'm happy with the Portra VC film as long as the photos are printed by an analog lab (digital labs turn the colors too bright and too hard, garish). The film seems to have a tendency toward certain blues, lending things a bluish cast if there's a tiny bit of certain dark blue anywhere in the picture. On the other hand, I haven't had that problem for awhile, so maybe it was just those particular rolls of film.

I'm wondering if anyone has particular recommendations, especially those of you who use natural lighting outdoors. (Sorry, digital folks, I'm not ready for that, yet.)

Thanks.

--Sally