Re: Can I publish?

>The area is not at all gray. Editorial is almost worse than commercial use.
>The rule is: If you feature an identifyable person and with the photograph
>or caption PUT WORDS IN THEIR MOUTH

I'm assuming we are talking about the law as it stands in the US (as that was where the original poster is based).

Once you start talking about the rest of the world the area becomes very very grey indeed. It can depend not just on who the subject is but where the subject was and even where the photo was taken from (may not both be the same).

In the UK now (news) most passers by's faces are now blurred out routinely.  Is it illegal to show them?  Maybe not.  But the media may well be liable for any damages resulting from doing so.  Heck, the accidental subject may be "thowing a sickie" from work, out for a walk with thier mistress, on a witness protection program ...

Whatever you Wanadoo:
http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/time/