Re: Can I publish?

Although presenting a photo on PF is considered publishing by US copyright standards (putting images on your web site is publishing and by extension PF is too) there is no commercial intent and therefore releases are not necessary. However, if you put a photo of a child and the estranged parent of that child happened to be on PF and see it there and go and locate the child with help from you, you could be in some hot water.

In consideration of that sort of extremely rare case it is best to ask the parent before posting. We don't know that we have any estranged parents or child pornography voyeurs on this list, but then we don't ever hear from 90% of the people who are subscribed.
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxx