Re: Simultaneously combining the novel with the familiar

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 15:41:19 -0700, Jeff Spirer <jeff@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote/replied to:

>Bob, it sounds like you are bothered by the "democratization" of
>photography.  On the other hand, this was exactly the same reaction when
>Kodak introduced a "camera for the masses."  I guess it's tradition to rail
>at the propagation of cameras and shots taken.  In the end, though, it's
>counter-productive, doing nothing for photography and only separating the
>"old farts" from the people doing most of the shooting.  In the end, you
>sound like someone defending the typewriter instead of the words that were
>put down using them, and whatever contributions you could make in the
>future become lost in the past.  It would be far better to use your time
>imparting your knowledge of what makes a photograph "good" or
>"interesting", where you have something to add, than to demonize
>technology, which will never add anything.

I know what it is, this 'film' thing. I worked conventional darkrooms
off and on professionally for over 30 years. Trust me when I say, I
can make a very good print of any size. 50" by 12' was the biggest one
piece print I ever made though. Not nearly big enough to show up the
wonderful look of digital without a seam.

For years, I too was in love with the little rectangular boxes that
were soooo cute and special. The little film cans were soooo useful
for storing stuff, and they made it so special removing that magic
metal reel with the film sticking out ready to load. And, wow, the act
of loading this little guy into the back of my camera was like saying
hail marys or chanting ommm. Close the back, hear the motor whirrr,
ready to shoot at last!

On the other hand people complain that the 10d takes a second and a
half to get ready. Hell, the batteries recharge, keep the camera on I
say.

I was wondering, is there a latent image problem with the digital
sensor? I mean if you left an image in the camera for like as month,
would it come out strange colours?

BFG
:-)

I also forgot the allure of the slide. The mounting of the neg in the
enlarger, watching the image come up in the safelight B&W and many
more feel goodie things about film. But in the end, it's all a bunch
of bullshyte worthless waste of time and resources all around
producing grainy fragile images that come with dirt and scratches.

Nice to keep some chat going on PF, been dead lately.
I agree, the Rosen's gettin rotten.

--
Jim Davis, Nature Photography
http://jimdavis.oberro.com/