Re: Simultaneously combining the novel with the familiar

Bob Rosen Wrote:

> I don't like to take
> throw-away-images; and that is what a digital camera will encourage
in me. A
> digital camera is the counterpart of the TV remote control, that I
use in so
> blase a fashion that it bothers my sense of respect for what the
medium has
> become.

> A film camera means what it does. And it conditions us to shoot what
we
> conclude after some onsite thinking as worthy of permanency. I hope
I, for
> one, never lose that dialog with the camera nor the respect I have
for it.

> Let others bemoan what was thrown away too easily. There are no
retakes to
> life when time winds only in one direction.

Bob

Have your views on this changed recently?

Is digital truly like the TV remote control or has it [like the remote
control] moved on?

Digital does indeed lead to throw-away-images.  In a
non-confrontational way, truth is photgraphers (I mean members of the
public rather than pros) are more than ever ready to fire off frame
after frame after frame in the hope that some will be usable - 99% are
truly thrown-away.  Pros, OK, fashion / sports, always did take
hundreds ... the special something in just one ... but also the
reality that the cost of film was trivial compared to the cost of the
shoot ...

Permanency?
Finally it seems to be accepted that injet prints are not permanent
(in any sense) but lo, we have digital images to film in the high
street mall.  Best of both worlds with, alas, no negative embodiment
of truth ;o(

Let us all bemoan what was thrown away:  quality and familiarity.  But
let us also rejoice for the future, the ability to share, instantly,
our snapshots with "friends" across the globe ...

Another Bob