Re: Retrofocus lens design was Digital lens question

ADavidhazy <andpph@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Leica did indeed make retrofocus wide angle lenses like everyone
> else. Any wide angle lens for the Leica reflex is a retrofocus
> design. Somebody, maybe Nikon, did, however, make a short focal
> length lens that required the locking-up of the mirror to allow the
> attachment of the lens to the body - meaning the SLR became a camera
> that required an auxiliary optical finder for use. But my memory may
> be faulty on this.

Many of the fisheye models, at least; checking the Moose book shows at
least the 8mm f8, 7.5mm f5.6, 10mm f5.6, 6mm f5.6.  The 6mm f2.8 and 8mm f2.8,
however, work with the mirror in place, and actually let you view the
image through the viewfinder!

The 15mm f5.6 ultra wide, 13mm f5.6 ultra wide, and 15mm f3.5 ultra
wide all seem to work with the mirror in place.  And, in fact,
everything introduced since 1972 does.

I don't own any of these exotics, the info is from Moose Peterson's
Nikon System Handbook.