Re: excibition print sizes

----- Original Message -----
From: <kpp@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: "List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students"
<photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, July 11, 2004 9:02 AM
Subject: excibition print sizes

Hi - Just some ideas I thought I'd pass along.

I've had 5X7 prints in 11X14 museum-type (quite a bit larger than the prints
with more space at the bottom than at the top) mats and 8X10 prints matted
to 16X20  museum-type and they look very nice.

I find that having a theme for an exhibition can be helpful as opposed to
having several nice, but unrelated prints no matter how good the prints are.

With the 5X7 (11X14 matted and framed) and 8X10 (16X20 matted and framed).
Perhaps a few large prints hung for impact would work along with the smaller
prints, but that would depend on the exhibit and gallery.

My opinion - the less cluttered the gallery (fewer prints) the better and
more full of impact the exhibit has.

The best of luck with your exhibition.

Marilyn
> well, I AM thinking setting up my own and very first excibition...
>
> I would almost walk the perillous road alone and blind, but i got some
real help and ideas from a local painter and friend of mine.

> I've got moral support, tried and true ideas, the images are already
selected aiming to picking ones with content AND character, some are already
scanned, and worked in PS, but...

> I am stuck on the prints' size for such an effort...
>
> I have chosen sizes ranging to 8x12 12x16 and 16x24 depending on the
images and room to use (there is only one excibition hall in my town)

> Two reasons are stalling me though.
> 1. What should the "proper" size be
> 2. Most of the images when blownup, excibit a softness partly attributed
to my scanner -I presume- (Epson 1660 Photo), and mainly to the photos being
lowlight/slowspeed ones taken at concerts and theater. too much sharpening
brings up too much grai for my liking.

> So...i am thinking of either dropping a good part of my selections, or
going down to size (8x12) to conceal the effect. But what impact can such a
print have?

http://groups.msn.com/clenchedteethphotography/hamletbynewformstheatre.msnw

http://groups.msn.com/clenchedteethphotography/jethrotullconcertphotos.msnw

http://groups.msn.com/clenchedteethphotography/diafanakrinaconcertphotos.msnw