excibition print sizes

well, I AM thinking setting up my own and very first excibition...

I would almost walk the perillous road alone and blind, but i got some real help and ideas from a local painter and friend of mine.

I've got moral support, tried and true ideas, the images are already selected aiming to picking ones with content AND character, some are already scanned, and worked in PS, but...

I am stuck on the prints' size for such an effort...

I have chosen sizes ranging to 8x12 12x16 and 16x24 depending on the images and room to use (there is only one excibition hall in my town)

Two reasons are stalling me though.
1. What should the "proper" size be
2. Most of the images when blownup, excibit a softness partly attributed to my scanner -I presume- (Epson 1660 Photo), and mainly to the photos being lowlight/slowspeed ones taken at concerts and theater. too much sharpening brings up too much grai for my liking.

So...i am thinking of either dropping a good part of my selections, or going down to size (8x12) to conceal the effect. But what impact can such a print have?

So what would be your choice?

appendix
8x12 images: selected colors from http://groups.msn.com/clenchedteethphotography/hamletbynewformstheatre.msnw

12x16 images: