RE: printer recommendations?

AZ, looking for good inkjet B&W, says:

>Two must-have features for me are the ability to make
>quality, neutral-tone B/W prints on rag paper and,
>most important, to make any length, "user size"
>panoramic prints. Near as I am aware HP and Canon
>have not had a panorama option.

Good B&W is the holy grail of inkjet printing.  Good,
that is, out of the box, with OEM inks, without
spending a fortune on third party inksets, software,
etc. and so on.

HP, I think, has come the closest so far.  Acting on a
recommendation by Mike Johnston (former editor of
Photo Techniques), I bought an HP 7660 for $149.  It
can be fitted with an HP three gray ink cartridge.
Produces very good looking, very neutral B&W.  A long,
even grayscale with good detail in highlights and
shadows.

Johnston's verdict was thus:

>Overall impression: Excellent. To me the prints look
>better than most RC prints, even carefully-made ones,

>and almost as good as well-made fiber-base ones.

See his entire review here:

<http://www.luminous-landscape.com/columns/sm-03-14-12.shtml>

Having said all this, I don't think that the HP will
do panoramas.  And I don't know how it prints color.
I still do all my color printing on my old reliable
Epson 1280, which continues to produce gorgeous
prints.

--John

=====
J. Mason