Gallery Comments - Waving the Flag

Fair enough: my image in this week's gallery didn't get a lot of praise
;o)
http://website.lineone.net/~wildimages/PF/flag.jpg
Almost everyone criticised the bland sky.

It's left me wondering in a way why I took it.

Jim wrote:
<<Touche Muricans! God save the Queen!>>
It's intersting in part: seeing a Union Jack in someone's back garden is
a trifle unusual over here.  It just is EXTREMELY rare.  That in part may
be why I even considered the scene.

<<I love the little tyke adding an interesting extra to the image.>>
That was the something else I wanted to capture: the extra element - better
shown in this excerpt
http://website.lineone.net/~wildimages/PF/tike.jpg

<<<Not an award winner, but you knew that.>>>
So true Jim: but there was something there for me (or maybe in my visual
memory of the scene) that I wondered ...

<<<Just too many busy elements in the wrong places.>>>
I actually like busy scenes sometimes and I was certainly aware it was busy
when I pressed the shutter.  The wrong places too: the flag pole - too tall
-  needed to be somewhere else.  The little tike with his umbrella: he needed
to be bigger in the frame.

<<Should have had a wider lens.>>
Well, it was 20mm lens on 35mm format.  A wider lens would have made the
child even smaller relative to the foreground. I think it should have been
a different picture.

The only thing from all the other reviews (thanks guys) I need to question
is that it was clearly (to me) level.  The tree, flagpole, fence all have
leans to them but the two buildings left and right are upright.

Oh well, try better next time.

Bob

Full Comments appended below.

John Palcewski <palcewski@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Must be the overcast, but despite the color of the
flag and the umbrella and the garden't flowers,  this is a rather gloomy
shot.

Laurenz <enquiries@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
I'd have preferred the flag pole to be a bit more to the left and the whole
picture seems to have a slight slant towards the left. Actually, the most
interesting detail for me is the child with the umbrella...

David Dyer-Bennet <dd-b@xxxxxxxx>
Fairly nice waving flag.  The bright empty
sky seems to dominate the picture, though.

Chris <nimbo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Harwell village was built to accomodate the families of the atomic physicists
who went there to develop the peaceful uses of atomic power. Aldermaston,
where they make THE BOMB is only just down the road, so is the Culham and
the Appleton labs where the peaceful use of thermonuclear power is tried
and the space research station respectivly sit.

James B. Davis <jbdavis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Touche Muricans! God save the Queen! I love the little tyke adding an interesting
extra to the image. Not an award winner, but you knew that. Just too many
busy elements in the wrong places. Should have had a wider lens.

Emily L. Ferguson <elf@xxxxxxxx>
Sorry your Garden day was so drear.  Move the photographer to the right
and obliterate the boring sky with the flag, get the kid with wagon (?)
between the flagpole and the post and come back in 3 weeks when the vine
on the post has leafed out.