Re: a bit about Japan (OT)

Interesting point about the lumber Jim, in Egypt they're currently setting up a farm for a genetically enhanced variety of tree that reaches an appropriate size for lumber in a period of about five to seven years.  The point I do not know is whether it is for export or Egypt!

"James B. Davis" <jbdavis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 06:47:35 +0100, you wrote:

>You are, in fact, living on all the oil that was burned to build the station
>and extract and refine the fuel. No profit.
>
>Just looked at your web page. Didn't know Japan had any atom power plants,
>but there is no coal or oil nearby either. How on earth does the economy
>hold up?

Japan survives by hard work and innovation. I really don't know much
about where things come from, but it surprises many people to learn
some of the truths about Japan. For example, some people think Japan
imports all it's lumber. It ain't so. Most of Japan is covered in a
managed forest of Japanese Cedar, a really excellent wood. One tree
gets cut, one gets planted.

They damned up all the rivers long ago to make power, but it sure
isn't enough. There's nuke plants scattered all over the country, with
new ones sprouting up every day.

--
Jim Davis, President,
Eastern Beaver Company,

"The optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds.
 The pessimist fears it's true"  - J Robert Oppenheimer

http://www.geocities.com/tr_cunningham

Do you Yahoo!?