Gallery review June 29th, 2004

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 08:02:04 -0400 (EDT), you wrote:

>I'd like to say thay David Dyer-Bennet has been a long time member and
>positive contributor to the PhotoForum mail list. Let's remember that
>this is a list among friends and that comments on the exhibit photographs
>are positive regardless of content. Comments express one person's
>opinions who took the trouble and the time to write them and we all
>appreciate that.

Didn't mean to seem rude, Andy. I just think anyone who reviews should
occasionally contribute something themselves. I look forward to seeing
one from David one day.

I'm always happy to see 'most' reviews. I realize everyone is
different, thinks differently and sees differently. And you all know I
believe in telling it as I see it.

In general, our galleries do tend to be pretty lifeless and boring.
And that is because not enough people are contributing. I often send
an image just to help fill up the gallery. Although I do have plenty
to send :-) Surely a long time list member who so critically reviews
can contribute an image once in awhile.

I want to see more images from more list members, that's all. It gives
a review a bit more depth to me, if the reviewer is also a
contributor.

And so here's mine :-)

Jeff Spirer End of the Line

I do not know exactly what the title means, but it's dark and
mysterious as so many of Jeff's are. The elements are interesting and
well placed. A fine example of low key black and white work. A fine
image to add to the Spirer collection! Hey, Jeff, how about some
reviews from you?

Emily L. Ferguson The power of suggestion

It's definitely interesting and a bit humourous. However, it needs
some cropping and perhaps should have been shot closer in. I'd crop
the sky and right side with shadow. This would zoom the image up and
make it a bit better. You don't have to always use the full frame, I
rarely do.

Jim Davis Inner Mounting Flame

boring ho hum stock overdone :-)

Pini Vollach Sunset

Pini, you're not going to believe this, but this week my image started
out tilted just like yours(only Asian tilted :-). I decided firstly to
make an image that was tilted. Then I wanted to take away the
rectangle completely and go with the flame idea. Here's my image
before using the eraser: http://ebeaver.oberro.com/temp/temp.html and
some bonus images of Buddhas.

Anyway, I really like your image this week. It's a pity though you
couldn't crank a bit more shadow to create more texture on the dune.

Laurenz Bobke  Stranded?

Wow, you don't see stuff like this everyday! Well shot too. Please
sent a bit larger image next time.

Trevor Cunningham Life of a Daffodil

I can only say that it could have been a great image with the daffodil
a bit larger.

Bob Talbot Harwell

Touche Muricans! God save the Queen! I love the little tyke adding an
interesting extra to the image. Not an award winner, but you knew
that. Just too many busy elements in the wrong places. Should have had
a wider lens.

Dan Mitchell Still Life

I like this one very much. Just to pick a nit, I'd clone out the sugar
bowl. Or better still, crop off that side.

Kostas Papakotas' friend's shot -  the kiss

It's a shame that messy hat is there. What's Mom doing, checking
tonsils? Cropped a bit too tight, skin tones too dark.

Jim Snarski Lani

My only complaint is the background. The angled bits behind the ears
spoil it. Those ears deserve to have separation! Overall though, nice
photo. And I don't think it's brightly lit, that flash has done a
swell job.

Howard Leigh Common frog

Wow, very nice. I didn't think this was a common frog, it looks kind
of exotic. By the way, how do you get so close to a frog? Was someone
holding him? Maybe he's blind? :-)

John Palcewski Self Portrait

Well, there's John with his strange looking toys. Why so glum?

--
Jim Davis, President,
Eastern Beaver Company,